Monday, March 25, 2013

Song for the Reindeer















Photo: (c) Jamie K. Reaser
For CB and all those who re-member the songs

I owe you my life.

No man can become a man
without otherness.

You are other.
And, you are me.

We are of the same
hoof and bone.

When I consume your body,
you are the knife and the spoon
and the tongue of the ancestors.

How otherwise starved and naked I would be.

Cradle and sled,

You’ve born me
into this world
and across the miles
that no one else cared witness.

My stride is a learned migration
into my self.

Only here can I know flight.

I may be the breath,
But you are the sound of my soul:

This soft rhythm of the taiga.
These branches snapping in the wind.
The keepers drumming at the threshold
of the world
in which we are true brothers.

Blood lines. Life lines.

There is only one world.

And, this music.

Yes, this music ~

I’ve come to understand
is a Man’s initiation.

How could I be without you?

How could I ever be without you?


© 2013-2014/Jamie K. Reaser
Published in "Wild Life: New and Selected Poems" (www.hiraethpress.com) 

(Feel free to share. Poetry is meant to move.)

No comments:

Post a Comment