Monday, March 11, 2013

Freeze and Thaw

Photo: (c) Jamie K. Reaser

There are frog eggs and there is snow.
This, to me, is wonderful.
I live in a place where frogs,
entire little brown frogs,
freeze and thaw!

I think this spectacular.

I think this is spectacular,
in part,
because I find it humbling.

I like it when my practice of
worship entails coming
to my knees for a closer look.

And there is ice on the vernal pool.

Except in one spot.

It’s the spot where the frogs
collectively laid their eggs before the
temperatures plummeted
and the storm came.

Before the storm came!

How did they know the sun
would favor that particular
two by two foot spread for
wetness above all others?

How did they know?

Alternate hypothesis # 1:

There is a heat-generating relationship
between the gelatinous egg masses
and solar radiation playing out before
my eyes, on this air-chilled day,
in ways I cannot see.

Alternate hypothesis # 2:

It is both:

Long time-selected forethought
and engineering.

Alternate hypothesis # 3:

It’s a miracle.

Today, I’m not inclined to choose.

Rumor has it that it will be in
the 60s again on Sunday.

That’s two days away.

The frogs will thaw.

I will ask.


© 2013-2019/Jamie K. Reaser
Published in "Wild Life: New and Selected Poems"  
and "Winter: Reflections By Snowlight"

Feel free to share



No comments:

Post a Comment