Saturday, March 16, 2013

Bearing Witness















Photo: (c) Jamie K. Reaser

When the winds picked up,
a pair of red-shouldered hawks screamed,

brushed the multi-crowed treeline
and kettled into vibrant blue.

I could see,
no, taste,
turmeric and saffron when the sun
delighted in the angles they chose
to make with their bodies.

On a faster day, I might not
have noticed them,

or, noticing them,
wondered what else there was
to notice –

Like how the shadow of a single
cloud sauntered along the Ridge
without putting a single foot
upon the earth,

Or that the titmouse had started
to utter springtime notes
between the blades of his
waxy black beak,

Or that the spring peepers had
collected in a small, tentative chorus
on the south-facing shoreline,
uncertain of commitment.

And, rightly so.

I am passionate
about my love affair
with solitude,

but, truthfully,
something is always there –
beating its well-honed heart
and calling for my attention.

Beating its well-honed heart,
and calling for my attention.

Beating its well-honed heart,
and calling for my attention.

Sometimes,
like today,
I wonder if I was born

simply
to bear witness.


© 2013-2016/Jamie K. Reaser
From "Winter: Reflections by Snowlight"
Published by Hiraeth Press (www.hiraethpress.com)

Feel free to share

2 comments:

  1. I think we are Jamie...I think we are.
    Born to bear witness. Such Sacredness!

    I'm loving the new Reflections by Candlelight!!! :)

    Mitakuye Oyasin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      "Reflections by Candelight" will be released in October by Homebound Publications, as a combination of poems and essays on "winter nature/human nature."

      homeboundpublications.com/

      Delete