Thursday, December 22, 2011

Courting the Darkness

Image: origin unknown

I am sure that it is
the darkness that
shows us how to find
the light.

I have been with Darkness
long enough
to have come to know
its tenderness –

to feel its hand deliciously
upon the small of my


Someday this dance
will be revealed,

but not too soon,
I hope.

My Beloved wanders at
the edge of moon beams
and courts me in the hip-loose
swaying of long afternoon

Only when I am standing in
my own light
can I see Him,

and everything looks
beautiful from

© 2011-2013/Jamie K. Reaser
Published in "Sacred Reciprocity: Courting the Beloved in Everyday Life" (


  1. Lovely... So true... It seems the tenderness of "Darkness" (our shadows) often 'gives birth' to light, allowing us to see and experience "The Beloved" more clearly, more completely...

    I noticed your book link isn't linked... How can one find your book?

    Enjoy the dance :)

  2. Thank you Mystic. This poem will be part of a collection to be released in 2012. The most recently published collection is called, "Note to Self: Poems for Changing the World from the Inside Out" and can be obtained through Hiraeth Press ( or on

    Wishing you the magic of the season...

  3. Replies
    1. Thank you - for your note and your presence here. _/\_