Friday, January 6, 2012

True Nature



















Photo: (c) Jamie K. Reaser

Does a bird choose
a branch that
cannot hold it,
or build a nest too
small for its unhatched dreams?

It’s not in its nature.

How often have you given
your heart to people
who cannot tend it,
who do not wish to hold space
for your most intimate silences?

Why is it in our nature?

I’ve seen how a flower can
make an entrance way
perfect for a bee,

How a frog can finish
the call of another.

What is this emptiness
we pursue
in our attempt to know
more than we are?

Tonight I have no answers.

The winter moon is filling herself
up in my window pane
and we behave like strangers
not intent on introductions.

Only the honey in my tea
parts my lips and cajoles
my tongue to speak
with a sweetness

that has yet to ripen
by my will.

Oh,

But it is of no use,

this holding back.

It’s simply in my nature
to love.

What vacancy Rumi knew of
idiot compassion,
I know not either.

Two fools
we are,

courting from bedposts
across the span
of different lifetimes.

But the sentiment is no less
in fortitude
for the absence
of the other.

Branches and flowers
manifest
with no promise
of birds and bees.

And so.

Love.

If it is true.

© 2012-2014/Jamie K. Reaser
Published in "Sacred Reciprocity: Courting the Beloved in Everyday Life" (www.hiraethpress.com)

(Feel free to share. Poetry is meant to move.)

8 comments:

  1. i really love this one, darling.... branches and flowers manifest with no promise of birds and bees.... beautiful!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always something kind from our Nature's garden manifesting through your poems. Thank you!
    ... 'and birds and bees manifest with no promise of branches and flowers' .... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Mirela. In the 50s in your old stomping ground this weekend. Out I go into Nature's garden to listen for poems...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Moved me to tears. So piercingly beautiful!
    ~ Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your words and heart Andrea. Blessings to you...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just beautiful. Such magical worlds. Thank you for making them. Namaste _()_

    ReplyDelete