Sunday, January 15, 2012

Insignificance


















Photo: (c) Jamie K. Reaser


I have decided to revel
in my insignificance.

I am nothing more than
anything else:

star dust,

a whisper in sacred space,

the glint in a buck’s eye
during spring rut,

a mountain turned to
sand after millennia
of dying the warrior’s
death,

an ant carrying cut leaf bits
back to its family
of thousands,

the dry, outgrown skin of
a black rat snake hanging
loosely in the arc of long,
wind-blown grasses.

This is all.

And in this, I am free.

My once-raucous mind has no more need
of that which does not serve
the soul’s manifestation
of itself.

When the loyal soldier is honorably
relieved of his duties
and the long-wailing children
are nurtured,
a quietude sets in.

I walk among you having
put down my weapons
of charitlessness.

See me as nothing more than
your heart,
your prayers,
your revelation of beauty.

For, this is all I am.

I am this insignificant.

I am no better than anything
else in this exquisite
world that I wholeheartedly
share with you.


~ Jamie K. Reaser, Author
Published in "Sacred Reciprocity: Courting the Beloved in Everyday Life" 

Feel free to share

8 comments: