Friday, June 21, 2019

Summer: Day One



















Photo: (c) Jamie K. Reaser

That old stray dog, Grief, had been following
at my heels, hoping for a home in which to
rest his weary self, but today is the first day
of summer and he’s gone off somewhere.

Still, there’s plenty of company for me. It seems
that everything is a breathing thing, in some
way of breathing. Me too, finally.

What color is summer?
What does summer smell like?
And, sound?

I know its touch: humidity.

You’ll never hear me complain about that
beaded caress. I wonder how anyone could go
on alone in a world in which even the air offers
an unmistakable embrace.

So, this is it, I suppose, the beginning of this year’s
expression of Joy: nectar-sweet shades of red
exclaimed. She is scampering along, leading
the way.


~ Jamie K. Reaser, Author
From "Truth and Beauty: Poems of the Nature of Our Humanity"

Feel free to share


No comments:

Post a Comment