Saturday, December 22, 2018

Touch the Sky



















Art: Mark Collins
www.markcollinsfineart.com/



There’s a first time to touch the sky.
I feel mine coming.

***

How do we distinguish yearning
from escaping? As I teeter on the edge,
I’m realizing that it is yearning that
lifts us away from that which has
grown too small. There are
once-it-fit-so-well places that we
must depart from.

***

The eagle banked against the storm
clouds. I saw it out there, but
I felt it in here.

Around and around, caressing the
directions, all of them, with long,
grey wing tips. I knew that it was
thanking some god and yet praying.
It wasn’t done with desire. Not nearly.

As powerful as it was, it became small
to me. I thought, “How does it do
that on those flimsy feathers?”

I was swept away.

***

Do you have wings,
and is there a sky calling your soul
to journey toward some horizon?

Oh, then, please—you must take
the heavy step across the sill and
rise before the thermals
dissipate at day’s end.


~ Jamie K. Reaser, Author
A book collaboration in progress with artist Mark Collins

Feel free to share

No comments:

Post a Comment