Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Cicadas




















Photo: (c) Jamie K. Reaser


The curanderos have shed
their last underworldly skin
and taken to the trees.

Chakapa wings drone icaros,
incanting me into my
animal nature
and beyond all hope
of aloneness.

Since my very first summer,
this has been
what a million essential insects
have asked of me.

Today I heard them.

***

When I was a young girl
I’d pluck cicada exoskeletons
off tree trunks and fence posts.

Bronze and sun-crisped,
I’d delight in the concept that
form can be outgrown.

I adorned my ear lobes with them,
and my fingers –
Like priceless jewels,
the riches of the wooed and betrothed.

Little then did I know
that it was this child’s play
that would teach me
how to fall in love.

***

I said, “Yes!”
and became a bride
to the world.

! Jamie K. Reaser, Author
Published in "Sacred Reciprocity: Courting the Beloved in Everyday Life" (www.hiraethpress.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment