Saturday, July 13, 2019

A Day Not As Planned



















Photo: (c) Jamie K. Reaser

I had planned accordingly, been
willing to commit body and mind
to the long list, but:

At the farmers’ market there
were familiar faces with names
I know, words to exchange
about possibilities and how the
rain has made the eggplant
grow larger than anticipated or
desired. Communing takes time,
especially when hugs are involved
and here they are, most certainly.

There were turtles: two.
One in a puddle in my driveway
with a nasty infection that needed
tending, so I drove him all the way
over the mountain to vets who
understand that all beings are worthy,

And the other spinning on its back
just west of the yellow lines. Though
I stopped, hopeful, there was nothing
left to do but offer prayers and a
ramshackle body to something that
might show up, hungry, in the roadside
shrubbery. It wasn’t joyful, but it
called for time.

And, I had to fix a watch that broke
in the night. Two in two months!
I think the Universe is trying to tell
me something, but what could it
be?

So then, just as I was going to get back
to the list, a friend said, “Come by!”
And, I did, and we sat for a bit
contemplating how every act can be
a perfect act. What an interesting day,
I thought. I’m perfectly accomplishing
nothing.

But, as the light dimmed and the temperature
became more cordial, I thought now, now
I’ll get something done. It was then
that I realized the day had written a poem
and it was going to need some time.


~ Jamie K. Reaser, Author
From "Truth and Beauty: Poems on the Nature of Our Humanity"

Feel free to share

No comments:

Post a Comment