Saturday, April 13, 2019

Custom Builder




















Art: Mark Collins
https://markcollinsfineart.com/


My soul was carefully constructed
of two opposing forces. One that
wants to nest, to tend a place of
otherness, the other to fly freely,
everywhere, endlessly.

One can travel, but a suitcase does
not a nest make. One can hope to
nest, but some longings, alas, don’t
land with the same capacities that
desires take flight.

The robin in the pine with last season’s
grasses clumped and streaming from
her beak is nesting.  I adore this. I adore
my memories of robin nests discovered:

The deep, mud-fiber bowls that hold
beautiful sky-blue eggs, maybe five, then
cheeping nestlings that beg for parental
deliveries all day long, then nothingness.

The robin is common, yes.
Springtime nesting is predictable, yes.
Yet, there is always magic, yes. Always.

As a child I was told that somewhere,
out there, there resides a great custom
builder.

All my life, I’ve wondered:

Does he have a plan for me and,
if so, is it ordinary enough to become
something magical?


~ Jamie K. Reaser, Author
From a book collaboration with artist Mark Collins
Feel free to share

No comments:

Post a Comment