Thursday, July 26, 2018

Patience
















Photo: (c) Jamie K. Reaser


What is a moment? Where
does it begin? When does it end?

How does it spread itself across time?

I want to know if it is a line,
or a circle that has perfected storytelling.

I think that it can be the look in a doe’s
eye when she sees me seeing her
and we both lay down form,
like a sword, at our feet.

There is also the moon, how it comes
through the trees later that night, and

how the tree frogs will crawl, lanky-legged, out onto
the branches and trill lullabies to those
who believe that dreams aren’t just something
that happens to us while we sleep.

If I rush everywhere, as I’m prone to do,
I can’t find a moment,

though, logically, it’s there
in the company of so many others.

I don’t have time.

And, yet, I know the child of me walked in the woods,
and played in brooks,
and had long conversations with
friends that were never ever imaginary. 

So, that’s why I was there,
that late summer afternoon,
standing in the woods, praying for
patience to come back to me. 

And, that's why, in that moment, 
I was there, wondering 
what the doe had been praying for.


© 2018-2019/Jamie K. Reaser
From "Truth and Beauty" (a work in progress)

Feel free to share


No comments:

Post a Comment