Monday, February 15, 2016

Second Snow
















Photo: (c) Jamie K. Reaser



It wasn’t the first snow of
the season, the second, but
it called for at least as much
reverence, for all the attention
one could give to it.
It started in the night,
greeted the morning, and wanted
the day as its own, and took
it in silence and prettiness. The dark
tree skeletons held it up, turning
themselves into many-winged
angels, revealing their true nature
to those who can utter something
more whimsical and deeply honest
than, “It is snowing!”
On days like this, I want to find my
way back to all the snows I’ve seen,
and all the people who were there
too. There are conversations that
never happened under that thick
white blanket, but there was
laughter too, and that unique familiarity
that snow brings, much the way that the
moon brings familiarity, and the darkness,
and the sun and stars, though somehow we humans
still remain lonely. Often. I want to gift questions
about loneliness into the world; how we came
to abandon the good company of magic and
retreated into the world of rationalized noise. But,
not now. Now, I want to let myself be claimed
by the beauty of the snow – the second snow – because
I’ve already found the answer.




~ Jamie K. Reaser, Author
Published in Conversations with Mary: Words of Attention and Devotion

Feel free to share

No comments:

Post a Comment