Saturday, October 4, 2014

Ginseng Thieves




















I found them on knee, on a Saturday morning,
early, digging three-pronged ginseng.

I told them to stop. And, go. And, was
only semi-polite about it.

They seemed surprised that I could arrive
there, just then, and spot
them in their leafy camo, such baggy pants,

and that I could speak a thing or two about the blond
roots (they’d broken most of the root hairs) gripped in
their pocket-buried hands, to which
red clay still clung, hopeful, that I’d get it set back
within this Earth;

It still had work to do:

this world needs holding.

***

This is what it is like to suddenly
realize that you are inhabiting
your belonging:

The forest had called out
to me by a name

I knew.



~ Jamie K. Reaser, Author
Published in  "Coming Home: Learning to Actively Love this World"

Feel free to share

No comments:

Post a Comment