Sunday, June 30, 2013

A Scarlet Tanager is Singing in a Walnut Tree



















Photo: (c) Jamie K. Reaser

Could you for a moment
look up and seek with your
weary eyes
the one singing high in the walnut,

and wonder about him
and this passion he has
beating beneath scarlet feathers -
this passion that keeps
him giving voice to
whatever the day is and is going to be?

Are we all born equally this way,
so simply,

beauty?

So simply,
expressions of ourselves?

I think we are.

And, I think this is true too
of the grey squirrel who plants forests
and the rabbit chewing on dandelion leaves at dusk
and the dandelion being
devoured by a satisfied rabbit.

And the frog.
Most definitely, the frog.

We needn’t try so hard.

Really.

We needn’t.

I assure you.

But, who convinced us otherwise,

and why?

This is a big curiosity.

Do you also think about these things?

I, for one, want to be me,

And to consider that
simply,
enough.

I think this is what the world
needs most of me
right now:

To simply be,

enough.



~ Jamie K. Reaser, Author

Published in "Coming Home: Learning to Actively Love this World"

Feel free to share

No comments:

Post a Comment