Wednesday, January 16, 2013

The Tri-colored Heron
















Photo: (c) Jamie K. Reaser

I couldn’t catch it,
that moment that just
passed me by.

How I wish I had tried!

But no,

I let the moment go to
indecision and doubts.

What if I were a tri-colored
heron knee-deep in pond
weeds and shallows ~

I would starve!

The wild makes no concessions
for that which does not
believe itself worthy of a fish.

There are musts in life if
one wants to go on living.

But that’s just it,
isn’t it…

the want.

I wonder:

Is that want,
the one that keens
the senses we’ve been
gifted,

The one ready to grok
 “Now!” deep in the gut
when the heart hungers,

The one that knows
that moments -
like shimmering, swirling,
big-eyed minnows -
must be grabbed
with full-bodied intent…

Is that want the essence
of our Wildness?

Has domestication of the soul
made us feel so uncomfortable
in our own inner landscape
that we have given up the
desire to feed ourselves?

I think you know the answer.

Me?

I’m going to the pond.

To fish.

© 2013/Jamie K. Reaser
From "Re-Union: Coming Home to Each Other" (a work in progress)

No comments:

Post a Comment