Thursday, October 13, 2011

Falling from Grace



















Photo: (c) Jamie K. Reaser



Where I sat on the crumbling brick wall

the pigeon fell,

gasping its last two breaths in my lap

while our eyes introduced our souls.



When I looked to heavens above,

there was only sky, cobalt blue.



What were the chances?



I know what it is to fall from grace -



That rocket-shot tumble

facilitated by your own dead weight

thundering the surface identity into

a direct collision course with

the very foundation of Life.



The impact is the point.



So many times, I’ve missed it.



Sigh.



It took a poisoned pigeon

to teach me this:



“Rest your weary wings

and unfold your heart

on the way down.”



It’s the only way

to land with Grace.




© 2011-2018/Jamie K. Reaser
Published in "Sacred Reciprocity: Courting the Beloved in Everyday Life" and 
"Wild Life: New and Selected Poems" 

Feel free to share

4 comments:

  1. Wow, another awesome one. I keep reading it over and over. I think I like this site. :)

    "I know what it is to fall from grace"

    I can relate to that on so many levels. I wonder if there is a human being anywhere that wouldn't feel the same resonating impact of those words in the center of their being as I feel in mine. Thank you for saying it, making the rest of us feel not-so-alone in our own fall(s).

    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Bill. And thank you for sharing the beauty under a Big Sky. May it source many a grace-filled landing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indeed Mickey. The experience with the pigeon happened over a decade ago, but has very much remained a part of my journey. Teachers show up in all forms and circumstances.

    ReplyDelete