Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Understanding














Image: origin unknown

I had been settled and gleaming
before grabbed and cast
across the surface.

One, skim, ripples
Two, skim, ripples
Three, skim, ripples

A three skipper!

And as I sunk
into the murky depths
all the way to the ancient muck bottom
Life simply turned and
sought another.

Only the serpent coiled in the willows knew
I had been displaced,
and would never return.

Stillness became my greatest longing
as I tumbled,
over and over again,
fragmented,
pushed and pulled
by currents that I could not rest long
enough to understand,
my edges constantly challenged
and defeated.

I grew
smaller.

Forces humbled me at every opportunity.

Interchangeably,

I grieved for the falsely satisfying memory
of who I had been,
I righteously questioned purpose,
faith, and forgiveness.

Then one day,
years well beyond count since
I had passed
before the Witness’ eye,

A young child’s determined hand
drizzled me onto the uppermost
point of a sandcastle,

And I understood
the need for the journey
as it was.


(c)2009-2018/Jamie K. Reaser
Published in "Note to Self: Poems for Changing the World from the Inside Out" 


Feel free to share

No comments:

Post a Comment