Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Morrigan


Image: unknown origin











Suddenly,

I am crying -

weeping into

no one’s arms

but my own.


Sliding down

cabinetry until

my legs tuck to

chest.


The kitchen floor

is cold.


Dogs come and

lap at tear-laden

cheeks.


I miss you.


***


What do I know

of being a woman

or a corvid feathered

black?


**

Upon an

emerald isle

I declared my love

for you

Cu Chulainn.


And, like on the battle

grounds of Magh Tureadh

and Mag Tured,

a war began

to rage within my soul.


Then came the hag -

bloodied and raw,

with a knowing

but unpracticed

death.


Your blessing healed.


For a time.


Agony.


Let not again you see

the Washer at the Ford

or the three goddesses

force dog flesh upon you.


I never more want

to settle on your

shoulder as a bird.


May I eternally be

the woman

at your side.


Re-turn to me.


I will bare my breasts

and offer up my own

heart for your

ecstatic victory

feast.


(c) 2003-2010/Jamie K. Reaser

_________________________


Note: This poem is based on the love story of the
Celtic goddess of battle, strife, and fertility - Morrigan
(from Gaelic Mor Rigan: Great Queen). She is often depicted
with ravens or shape shifting to/from raven form.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I can feel the commingling of worlds beyond our time in your words. Very moving and powerful. Morrigan’s presence was within you on this write. I am left just with a wow…

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. ;) Wishing you deep blessings - of darkness and light.

    ReplyDelete