Friday, August 3, 2012

The Eaglet















Photo: (c) Jamie K. Reaser, wild harpy eagle chick (5 months old)
Note: Harpy eagles are critically endangered. There may
be as few as 50 nesting pairs remaining in the wild.


What if your nest
was a cathedral?

And, why isn’t it?

We all yearn for sanctuary
under the same tempest
skies.

Here I feel I should humbly
and somewhat awkwardly
confess,

I am human.

What would you think of that?

I wonder.

Do other species feel the
need to apologize for
inhabiting their own skin?

What has humanity granted
either one of us?

Thank you.

I have the answer in the way
you look at me:

“This moment,” you say.

“This moment.”

And it’s true.

It is in this moment that
we get to decide
who and what 
we want
to be.

It’s always in ‘this moment.’

The red mud feels cold and wet
as it hugs my right knee.

This I can do to honor you,

because I am human.


© 2012-2019/Jamie K. Reaser
Published in "Wild Life: New and Selected Poems" 

No comments:

Post a Comment