Friday, April 30, 2010

My Voice















Image from: www.abearsden.com


I have found my voice.

I am not sure where or when

I lost it,

but I found it

today,

inside me.


I recognized it immediately

as it lifted

from my heart

and resonated

with my soul

and sang

a verse of truths

that are my deepest secrets

and longings.


Thanks,

but I no longer need your words:

Mom, Dad,

teacher,

preacher,

lover,

loyal soldier,

mass media,

passerby,

Mr. President.


Please reclaim the voices

in my head,

at my ears,

behind my back.


I gift them to you

without reluctance

or regret.


Take them in ribbon

and fancy wrappings.


Come join me,

a nice glass of wine

and a porch swing with

a mountain view.

Sit back,

listen.


This is the sound of

my voice.



(c) 2003-2011/Jamie K. Reaser
Published in "Note to Self: Poems for Changing the World from the Inside Out" (www.hiraethpress.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment